Monday, March 28, 2011

It's 4 a.m. and I'm shedding old skins

I'm listening to the rain. Constant. Steady. I doubt that the sun will come out today. I'm warm, dry, secure in my little nest of a house, a temporary abode, I'm sure. I'm surrounded by my paintings and amazed I can fit so many on the walls of a 500 sq. foot home. You see, I've downsized, as many of us have, but it feels right. I'm shedding old skins and making ready for the new.

The new. With the state of the world one wonders, what will the world be like now? Earthquakes, deaths, radiation in drinking water. What will the news bring today?

A radio interviewer said I was a "happyolist". You see, Happiness Awaits You! was my idea. Since the book came out, I've wondered, am I supposed to "be happy" all of the time? Is that possible? And if so is it authentic?

Recently I met a woman who is known for her creativity. She has a unique style, numerous books published and gives workshops across the nation. I was a volunteer her workshop and was amazed at what I was perceiving. She was jovial, upbeat, unique, just like her books. But as I gazed at her, I wondered, is this a well polished act? Is she authentically happy? Sadly, she seemed a facade and merely carrying on the one woman show she had manufactured and portrayed for years on end.

I knew that what I was seeing was not for me. I knew I needed more: I needed to be genuine in my joy. To do this I needed to be honest with myself and my emotions. To cry when I felt it, to feel the pain of others if need be, and my own pain, too. I knew I needed to be in the moment and experience whatever hand life dealt me.

I also knew that I had a choice in the matter. I could express my emotions and move on, or I could wallow in them. I could have a pity party, or I could decide, enough tears, it's time to move on. I could look at a sunflower, and its deep brown-ebony center and wonder of the mysteries of life, and I could absorb the yellow-gold color of shear delight into my being and radiate the joy that delicious color felt like to me.

Rain, sunshine, no matter. My joy is eternal in this moment. It is all I have, authentically, right now.

Radiating Authentic Joy,
Maggie
"Field of Sunflowers"
detail
acrylic on canvas
by Maggie TerryViale

No comments:

Post a Comment