Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Artist Statement or Why I Paint

The answer seems so simple. I paint because I love to put a brush loaded with delicious, vibrant colors, each color a celebration of a different note of life experience, to canvas. There can be no other reason for me than that the act of creation is pure bliss. This is the process.

However there is a second crucial part to art: the product. Sometimes a painting touches the heart and soul of another. The painting, or the product of my acts of creation are universal themes intended to inspire, uplift and heal. This is my wish for the viewer, to give a soulful, heartfelt experience which celebrates humanity. This is why I exhibit and sell my art.

I've had the highs of ego: art shows in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and museums; an MFA from a prestigious school; grants from well-know foundations; reviews that called my work genius. And I've had the lows of "my 5 year old can paint like that" and the feeling of being overwhelmed and burned out with 23 exhibits in one year which resulted in a loss of focus on why I paint. I've had the lows of setting aside by paint brushes for the span of a decade to explore other creative outlets, but I've returned grounded, confident, and more joyful in my creations than ever.

It's simple: I paint because I love to paint. And in doing so I know that in my delicious, colorful, universal and joyful moments of creation, I enhance the world with love. I welcome you to share my gifts from my heart to yours.

Look ahead...there is more goodness coming your way.

Nameste,
 Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment